Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

I am a writing fool as of late!

So much so that I am actually considering opening my dusty, dilapidated... all but forgotten [because it is a thorn in my side] novel from last years www.nanowrimo.org contest and doing some work on it.  I know, its crazy.

I mentioned the other day that I belong to several writing and critique groups. I bestowed ghastly ghostly work upon one of the groups the week before last, but I am hoping to redeem myself next week with a story for a Writers Digest contest. At another critique group I've just sent off a piece via email I plan to enter into a contest in October. The two groups are quite different in how they work their exact critique, but the result is the about same - plenty of great advice on your piece.

At lunch the other day a friend that was present during the reading of a piece of flash fiction I'd written asked me about it. I told her I received Honorable Mention in a contest. She suggested that I expand the story into a series. I hadn't thought of it before. What a delightful idea! I was able to add to my delight when I later saw a couple pieces of art by someone I know. Boy, I could write a series and that artist could illustrate!  Ahhh! Move over Winnie the Pooh!

I've been coming up with different storylines. A series... are my characters detectives? Are they explorers? What is their mode of travel? How many main characters are there? Names! Oh, I have some wonderful names chosen already. For some reason I rarely name my characters if I can getaway with it. I've discovered that names hold meaning to people. I'm always afraid my character will be defined by his or her name. But, I have a few unique names I've sort of been holding onto through the years that may have finally found their character.

All of this writing has picked up and taken off over the last week or so. I wrote before that, of course. The last week I really feel like a switch has been clicked on for me though. It's a good feeling. I hope it lasts for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment